So, to recap, I have one chicken left over from the Original Six, five of whom are confirmed roosters, and now have new homes. The remaining bird, who I used to call Little Sister, slipped a ligament or something around 2 months old, and has walked on one foot and one knee ever since. Major limp, but s/he gets by. Ever since the leg got hurt, the bird's development slowed, the comb didn't get really big, no signs of being male or female, just a smallish chicken with a serious limp. I figured it if turned out crowing, we'd have it put down (I can't do that myself, are you kidding!! But there are guys who hunt in my neighborhood...), and eat it. Or not eat it. Anyway, I figured this bird would not mature, and we'd just feed and love it until something changed.
When I introduced the new chicks a few weeks ago, there was some tension the first day or so. I separated them the first night, to get used to the idea of each other. They could see each other, just not associate. When they began sharing space, Little Sister did some pecking if they walked in front of her/him, but there was no chasing.
Then one night, heard chick cheeping at bedtime. (Sometimes they cheep to be tucked in, because their former chicken mama used to do that.) By the time I got out there, I opened the coop door to see Little Sister with HER wings spread out over all the chicks, as they tucked in for the night.
A rooster would never do that! So, I can conclude it's a Hen! Her new name is Big Sister. Perhaps now that she has purpose, maybe she'll actually lay eggs. I'm not counting on it, but at least I'm not planning ahead to her execution. *sigh*
3 comments:
I'm glad no execution is planned! That is so sweet how she "adopted" the babies. :o)
The information about the new little chicks and the one holdout hen/rooster and your discovery of her true character, was extremely well put. It was beautifully, meaningfully written. I know in the world of agriculture, even family farms, there is a real drive make every animal pull its own weight or off with it's head. Because non-producing animals take up room, water, feed and attention that cannot usually be justified. And I have always admired the family farm values and lifestyle. But, I feel you live in the city, are raising city children, and it does seem awkward to insist on maintaning such such a hard line, if you don't have to. I'm happy your little crippled hen has found a line of employment which has saved her life.
How can you tell if chickens are roosters are hens besides the obvious-- one lays eggs and the other crows. I still haven't been able to tell what mine are-- they are about 3 months old-- I think I am pretty sure that two of them are roosters but I can't tell on the others. They are bantams and don't have combs.
Post a Comment