Boy have I been remiss in keeping up with my vaccine series! Barbara asked some great questions, and I'm putting them here, rather than in the comment section. I don't have the time to polish my thoughts like I want to, so please forgive grammar, voice, etc...
Barbara said: "Your right, it is controversial and one I've usually stayed away from in family discussions. After all, I want to be a good kid. ;D However, I do have a few questions if you can bare with me.
" When you say "a genetically prone individual who experiences environmental conditions that bring out the 'symptom' of autism" to me it implies that autism can be 100% avoided. Do you think it can?
"In my mind I keep coming back to religion and faith... where does your faith play it's role in this, or doesn't it?
"Finally, I've heard that it's the mercury in the vaccines and not the vaccine itself. Have you read anything about that or is it just rumors?" (end Barbara)
Barbara! Thank you for commenting. And especially thanks for challenging me to be more clear. Let's see if I can do that:
1. I don't believe that it's likely in today's world to avoid conditions 100%, if they can be triggered (started) or exacerbated (made worse) by environmental factors. There are just so many environmental factors, and an increasing amount of chemicals in our everyday lives. I believe that their impact can be lessened by paying attention to sensitivities (whether they be food, chemical, stimulus, stress) and then minimizing exposure to them, and by gut instinct. Every person is entitled to gut feelings, which are more often than not the Spirit, about themselves and their families. Everyone's impressions will be personalized and different than another's. So, that original statement meant to imply *degree* rather than *yes/no*. Does that make sense?
2. Faith, of course, is huge, and essential. I touched on that above, but I also believe that we can pray specifically about *everything* and receive an answer. (LDS scripture comin'on!) In Alma somewhere, it talks about praying (crying) over your fields, flocks, herds. Those are livelihood and well-being symbols to me - today we could say that means to pray over our meal-planning, our car, our computer, and our health choices. So, yes, faith plays an essential part in the vaccine decision for me. I've felt impressed to reconsider, rethink, ponder and pray again various times over the years when there was a serious disease in our community. When Jordan had Kawasaki Disease 14 years ago, I thought it was mumps for about 2 days, because his neck was so swollen. I was prepared to report it to the health dept (but only doctors can do that), and it quickly turned out to be something equally serious but totally mysterious. In another family, prayer might more likely lead then to vaccinate and trust that it's the best choice for them.
3. Mercury. Mercury is one of many concerns that have come up over the years. Some of these concerns lead to vaccine policy change; others get dismissed. When I was researching specifics 18 years ago, number one concern for me was the pertussis component, which was a "whole cell" and carried more side-effects than the "a-cellular" version that had been used in other countries for years (decades?). The safety was proven. The a-celluar was more expensive. It made me upset and began the distrust I have in vaccine policy makers, that money was holding back safer vaccines, for decades. We finally got a-cellular pertussis in the US, but it took a long time. Another past concern was the live polio vs. killed polio. Killed polio is more expensive to administer because it requires an injection rather than a sugar cube. (Anyone remember the sugar cube? I do.) When they *finally* decided to make the switch, they recommended only one dose be killed, for several years, so vaccine manufacturers could catch up to demand. Another concern currently is aluminum (which Offit and Sears disagree about; I'm with Sears - injected aluminum is more worrisome than ingested, which mostly passes through); also, formaldehyde. So, I'm picky. Vaccine policy is an evolving science, and imperfect. Pro-vaccine experts point out that the overall benefit far exceeds the risk. But, you know, that's hard for the parents of the kids who have severe reactions to agree with…. Back to mercury. It has officially been cleared by reams of research, but many people still have their doubts. I mean, it's a known toxin. These days, chicken pox vaccine is *required.* It's a relatively benign childhood disease. I know a small handful of kids simply can't catch the disease safely. But I think the trade-off of requiring everyone to get the shot rather than catch the disease will show up as this generation hits adulthood and adult chicken pox (which has much greater risks than childhood chicken pox) becomes more prevalent. In my opinion, one main reason for childhood vaccines should be to protect children from *dangerous* *childhood* diseases, not diseases that are more dangerous to contract when you're an adult. And Gardasil, don't get me started!!!
How'd I do? :)
6 comments:
Relevant article in the SL Trib yesterday. UofU researcher says autism-pollution link needs serious study. Stay tuned...
Poppy
Whups. Left out the link.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/51847423-183/autism-chemicals-utah-metals.html.csp
Thanks, Dad. That was timely, indeed.
He he... I'm such a bear, I know. ;D When I read about your first point I couldn't help but wonder if it has always been like that. I haven't been able to articulate the thought very well but it goes along the lines of more environmental conditions, more knowledge leads to more situations and more awareness but just as many triggers existed for different ailments. Anyway, Gardasil? I had to look that one up. I suspect more like that will be released as further research is put into cancer. I wish I had all the answers too but one at a time I suppse. *Hugs
You're a teddy bear, more like.
The Gardasil issue is complex, and most of my issue is with deception. It's touted as a cancer vaccine. What it really "protects" against is several strains of HPV, which many people carry, but could be considered a sexually transmitted disease. There are a few strains of HPV that cause the majority of cervical cancer. So, that's somewhat misleading. Do you think they'd get a lot of people marching into their local health department to get a "sexually transmitted disease vaccine?" ha
But the biggest problem I have with it is that they want pre-teen and teenage girls to get it; many states in fact, recently tried to make it mandatory for entering middle school (Texas included). Mandatory - a sexually transmitted disease vaccine. The rationale, I suppose, is that a fair number of girls will become sexually active without checking with their parents first, so may as well give them a vaccine for this one disease *before* just in case.
There have been over 50 deaths associated with this vaccine, last I heard, so it's still in guinea pig status, as far as I'm concerned. Just wrong on many levels.
And I know there are lots of very good people who disagree with me. :)
He he... so glad you picked up on that. And yes, I'd rather be a teddy bear than a grizzly. :D
It is interesting, and I'm not sure what to think about it. I remember it being a big issue in the news but unfortunately I don't remember how it turned out. The sad news is, teen sex is a huge problems in the schools down here and it's unbelievable how young it starts. It's depressing really and lots of parents don't even care about it.
Post a Comment