Monday, September 5, 2011

Normal Childbirth - the WHO booklet

I've wondered once or twice over the years why there wasn't a little booklet that combined all the evidence-based practices for normal childbirth into one place. I stumbled upon the Childbirth Connection a while ago; they're fairly recent. They have a pdf, but it's more like 100 pages (70 of text, 30 of references). Well, it turns out the World Health Organization has a "little" booklet of exactly that, but is only 37 pages of text, and totals about 70 pages.

I think every pregnant woman should read one of these. Ideally, women should know about this research and how different the typical hospital protocol is *before* they get pregnant.

For the "cliff's" version, skip to section 6, p 34, where practices are listed:
1. that should be encouraged
2. that are clearly harmful
3. on which the jury is still out, and
4. which are used inappropriately.

No comments: