"I think most of us have this sense today, if we are honest. If you read a book with your laptop thrumming on the other side of the room, it can be like trying to read in the middle of a party, where everyone is shouting to each other. To read, you need to slow down. You need mental silence except for the words. That's getting harder to find."
That, I think, is presicely why I read, to obtain some of that "mental silence." What a precious commodity in today's world, silence. Silence to ponder, contemplate, remember. It used to be that kids *could* get bored. Now, I think when they say they're bored, what they really mean is that they're over-stimulated and over-filled with things that don't matter and they can't make sense of it. Reading is a balm for such meaninglessness. Only, it's fewer and fewer of us that can recognize the need for "mental silence."
3 comments:
This is a great description. ;D However, I often feel this same way when I'm in the library with all those other books around me screaming "read me, read me!" LOL
I know! So true, Barbara!
It's true. I love to read but I feel like I waste that time I could be reading playing on the internet. Sometimes it's great to just shut off my computer and sit on my bed and read. Barbara I love your comment. I work in a library and I always get distracted reading the book descriptions thinking "Oh this sounds like an interesting book, I'd love to read it."
Post a Comment