Tuesday, May 5, 2009

chicken tractors

Aunt Lolo asked what a chicken tractor was, so here's my best answer: it's a portable, bottom-less coop, for a small number of chickens.

You can go high-falutin with your backyard chickens with a unit like the Eglu.

You can even buy one assembled, with wheels even.

You can also build your own, which is what we'll be doing. (We have about 3 weeks until they're ready for outside.) I have no idea how we'll do it. It first depends on what wood we have on hand, or can scrounge. Then it will depend on what my son and husband want, since they'll be doing the work. ;) I'll do my best to present helpful information, but when someone else does the work, you really can't complain....

Here's a photo gallery of backyard chicken tractors.

3 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Thanks! hmm...why are they called tractors? Do they have wheels so you can move them around, to let the chickens peck at differe nt parts of the yard?

Mama bee said...

My neighbors have a chicken tractor that they built themselves. I'm sure they'd gladly show it to you (or at least wouldn't mind me bringing a friend into their back yard - we hang out in eachothers' yards all the time) if you're interested.

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

And I still have no idea why they call it a chicken "tractor." Couldn't it be chicken "suite," chicken "mobile home," chicken "Airstream," chicken-a-go-go??...