Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chicks

The set up:


hanging out at the water cooler


one of the Barred Rocks is thinking "hellloooo down there!"


the back and first wing feathers of an Americauana


"ain't I cute?"


We brought these girls home Friday, May 1; they hatched the day before. The Barred Rocks will lay brown eggs; the Americauanas, blue/green. But not for 5-6 months. Just in time for their fall molt, I imagine, but we'll see how it goes. We have about a month to build the chicken tractor now! Wish us luck!

6 comments:

Doreen said...

So awesome!

LunaMoonbeam said...

What is a chicken tractor????

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Sally. You make me a proud mama.

Molly said...

ahh, this makes me miss my chicks. now that they're teenagers, i've forgotten how small they once were!

Mrs Buchanan said...

Nice, nice. So what are you going to do with those chickens during the winter? Won't they freeze?

Anonymous said...

Try to convince Ethan that he and I should get chickens one of these days. I want to, but he's not convinced yet.