So what's a wheat intolerant gal to do?
She settles for this yummy bread from the store that is mostly white, but with sprouted wheat berries, has almost as much fiber as whole wheat bread, and makes very nice toast. :) I don't bake with whole wheat; I just don't even try to eat it. (White flour does not give me a stomach ache, oddly enough, but I try to avoid white bread products since they are almost completely devoid of any worthwhile nutrition. And, they're constipating.)
I do eat other whole grains, though. I love quinoa or amaranth (or both) for breakfast, like oatmeal, with butter and brown sugar. mmmm (Speaking of oatmeal, I haven't really introduced it back since my Firecracker showed an allergy to it 2 years ago, since we're still nursing, so I don't eat oatmeal, for now.)
I adore brown rice, but the kids don't so much, so there's some work to do there. I've also got me some teff, and still trying to figure out how to use it. Every grain needs a different ratio of liquid, behaves differently with leavening, etc. I have cooked teff as a hot cereal (like oatmeal, quinoa or amaranth), and love it, but have not baked with it.
She settles for this yummy bread from the store that is mostly white, but with sprouted wheat berries, has almost as much fiber as whole wheat bread, and makes very nice toast. :) I don't bake with whole wheat; I just don't even try to eat it. (White flour does not give me a stomach ache, oddly enough, but I try to avoid white bread products since they are almost completely devoid of any worthwhile nutrition. And, they're constipating.)
I do eat other whole grains, though. I love quinoa or amaranth (or both) for breakfast, like oatmeal, with butter and brown sugar. mmmm (Speaking of oatmeal, I haven't really introduced it back since my Firecracker showed an allergy to it 2 years ago, since we're still nursing, so I don't eat oatmeal, for now.)
I adore brown rice, but the kids don't so much, so there's some work to do there. I've also got me some teff, and still trying to figure out how to use it. Every grain needs a different ratio of liquid, behaves differently with leavening, etc. I have cooked teff as a hot cereal (like oatmeal, quinoa or amaranth), and love it, but have not baked with it.
5 comments:
Mmm...that last picture looks so WARM and filling...but if I didn't read your post, I'd think it was a large bowl of "tobiko." LOL (Which is an ADORED food in this house!)
That is so funny, LoLo!! I'm pretty sure that teff with raisins has a slightly different flavor than fish eggs! (Did I get it right?)
Have you tried brown sweet rice? It seems to "cook" more tenderly than regular brown rice and more like white rice. I'm not really sure of the nutrition as related to the other rices, but we just started using it and we really like it.
So I feel kind of bad that I got your name wrong at the library the other day! I totally knew who you were I just second guessed myself... hate that:) It was fun to bump into you.
congratulations! you're the winner of the next issue of herbal roots zine: http://herbalrootszine.blogspot.com/2009/12/winner-of-next-months-edition.html
email me your email address so i can get it out to you in the next few days! (info AT herbalrootszine DOT com).
Post a Comment