[flok-suh-naw-suh-nahy-hil-uh-pil-uh-fi-key-shuh]
the estimation of something as valueless (encountered mainly as an example of one of the longest words in theEnglish language).
Definition: an act or instance of judging something to beworthless or trivial
Etymology: the parts of the word each mean 'at nothing' or'with a small price'
Which, of course, reminded me of those 4th grade extra credit spelling words. That I have never forgotten and have never used, except to remember them.
antidisestablishmentarianism
and
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Which, if you think about it, are nothing more than floccinaucinihilipilification, because as ideas they can be expressed in much simpler terms. ("opposition to the belief that there should not be an official church in England" and "blacklung, or miner's lung disease")
Wasn't that fun?
2 comments:
I'd have to admit you lost me at the title... but I did enjoy *trying* to say those words! Got through the first one okay but kept flubbing on the second. LOL
Ok, so my comment was a bit confusing!! I though the math book review and this post were one in the same! LOL
Post a Comment