Giving away roosters, for one. Remember those six cute little girl chickens who were supposed to lay eggs for me right about now? Well, FIVE of them turned out to be roosters. They crowed, and were promptly given away. Three of my neighbor's bedrooms windows face my back yard, so even if I had wanted to keep a rooster (which I don't), I couldn't. The rooster across the street that crows all morning, afternoon and night would have set off quite a phenomema, I'm sure. I miss them. They were all so pretty, and came out when I called "Hi girls!" every day. Even though they weren't girls....
Firecracker also celebrated her third birthday.
I haven't harvested much from the garden apart from the rhubarb and broccoli. The tomatoes are producing, but not ripening. It might help if I remembered to water them. We've had enough green beans for one dinner. Gosh, they're good pan fried in butter with garlic and salt. mmmm
We had your various colds, flus and stomach bugs. Enjoyed the hammock. Started letting the cats outside, even though we vowed to make these cats indoor-only, since the other 3 cats we've had in this house died from cars or poison.... Because we can't keep them in! They are driven to be outside; they love it; it completes their "catness," to borrow a phrase from Joel Salatin. So, our girl cat got herself, well, we're having kittens sometime soon.
My middle-school aged daughter, who has been exclusively homeschooled since second grade, is attending middle school part time. She selected art, guitar and PE. I was hoping that they would not be able to accomodate those classes all next to each other, so she would have to choose, but the school was very accomodating. She's so happy with the situation. So I am, too.
I'll be teaching another class at the homeschool co-op, like I did last year. This time around it will be writing for 11-14 year olds, rather than math/science. Still pulling it together!! It will be a blast, I'm sure. I intend to make it all about fun, enthusiasm, getting the words out and building confidence, and not so much about grammar, spelling and revision. That will come later when they're all fired up about writing!
My oldest got his drivers' license, and oh, my, does he think that we all three licensed drivers should share the car equally. *rolls eyes* Working on that. He's a junior this year, and doing well in school so far. Taking percussion, which is his first formal music instruction, believe it or not. He has natural rhythm, and is driven when something is important to him, so I know he will thrive.
Well, that's my summer in a nutshell. More to come on NVC and whatever else strikes my fancy. See you soon!
2 comments:
Sounds like everything is going well! It is so sad that you had to get rid of your roosters. I don't like roosters very much especially when my brothers tease them so much that they become visious! Scary!
So great to get an update!
I don't think animals should have genders. Humans should get to choose the animals' genders. We have a stray cat in the neighborhood that I think should be male, but "technically," he's a female. Too bad.
I remember playing Rock Band with Jordan, and he was awesome at the drums. I bet he'll be great doing percussion. And that's really exciting that Serena is doing some classes at the school. I hope she enjoys it! Those are good ones to pick.
I'm having a problem, too, with remembering to water the garden. I've sort of figured that I live in Indiana where it rains, so I shouldn't have to water even if we go two weeks without rain. Right?
Oh, I wish I could get excited about driving again like I was at age 16...
Post a Comment