Wednesday, June 10, 2009

the chicken or the egg?...

Of course, we got our chickens from the local country store, so it's "chicken." ha ha... I need to take pics of our sweet hens. They're over a month old. The coop and run are about half built. We're winging it, and I'm afraid it shows. The coop is a little smaller than it should be, and since the old paint in the basement was older than I realized, and I planned on using it, rather than buy new paint, the coop is a very pretty Caribbean Blue.

Anyway, that's not the "chicken or the egg" question I meant to pose. As I continue to ponder NVC, I find myself wondering if "listening" or "genuine respect" come first.

What I mean is, in the quest to truly understand one another, and communicate needs and feelings, does listening engender better respect for the other person, or does having respect make it easier to listen? I'm not sure it's just one or the other; it has to be both.

I've let this post sit as a draft for over a week, and it wasn't really that hard to articulate. Re-thinking communication is inherently hard work, as it requires we come to understand who we are at our very core, how we act (when we usually just "do" without thinking), and how we would like to change. ALL THAT before even making any change....

Chicken pictures are coming, I promise!

No comments: