Farmer George Plants a Nation by Peggy ThomasMy review
rating: 4 of 5 starsI love how sometimes "cluster reading" several books at the same time seems so serendipitous. While reading this book, I was also reading Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich, where in she describes gardening as "peaceful sedition." Well, isn't that was George Washington was doing as he "planted less and less tobacco so he did not have to ship it to England. Instead he grew more and more wheat to sell to other colonists.... Soon Mount Vernon was like a little village." (p. 12)
And I'm also re-reading Food Not Lawns which is allll about gardening as peaceful sedition. Why do I romanticize the idea of rebellion? It just seems to fun!
But on the other hand, sometimes a little "civil disobedience" is called for. Isn't that what the Revolutionary War was all about!?
View all my reviews.
No comments:
Post a Comment